When you inspect the Directory Services event log, it contains an entry similar to:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: NTDS General
Event Category: Internal Processing
Event ID: 1168
Time: HH:MM:SS AM
Description: Error 8352(20a0) has occurred (Internal ID 30d0192). Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
This behavior is symptomatic of having the subRefs attribute of the Domain Naming Context in the Active Directory directory service point to an incorrect or deleted domain.
To fix this problem:
01. Restart you Windows 2000 domain controller.
02. Press F8 when Starting Windows is displayed.
03. Use the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW keys to select Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows 2000 domain controllers only) and press Enter.
04. Use the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW keys to select your Windows 2000 installation and press Enter.
05. Log on with the Directory Services Restore mode credentials that you created when you promoted the server.
06. Press OK to confirm that you are using the Directory Services Restore mode.
07. Start / Run / ntdsutil / OK.
08. At the \ntdsutil.exe: prompt, type semantic data analysis and press Enter.
09. At the semantic checker: prompt, type go fixup and press Enter.
10. At the semantic checker: prompt, type quit and press Enter.
11 .At the \ntdsutil.exe: prompt, type quit and press Enter.
12. Shutdown and restart normally.