When you install the first Windows 2000 Active Directory domain controller in a forest, DCPromo grants it all five of the FSMO roles:
Schema master - Forest wide and one per forest.
Domain naming master - Forest wide and one per forest.
RID master - Domain Specific and one for each domain.
PDC emulator - Domain Specific and one for each domain.
Infrastructure - Domain Specific and one for each domain.
NOTE: If the current role holder and target role holder are running, Transfer the roles. If only the target role holder is running, Seize the roles.
NOTE: It is best to run Ntdsutil.exe on the target role holder.
NOTE: Only Seize the FSMO roles if the current role holder is being removed from the domain or forest.
To seize or transfer the FSMO roles:
1. Start / run / ntdsutil.exe / OK. Type ? to see the list of available commands and press Enter.
2. Type roles and press Enter.
3. Type connections and press Enter.
4. Type connect to server <servername> and press Enter.
5. At the server connections prompt, type q and press Enter.
6. Type transfer role or seize role. If you type ? at the FSMO maintenance prompt, for the list of roles.
7. After you seize or transfer the roles, type q and press Enter until you quit Ntdsutil.exe.
8. Restart the server.
NOTE: All five roles must exist in a forest.
See knowledge base articles: