A. Though Windows NT Workstation has remote registry editing installed already, Windows 95 and Windows 98 do not. The installation process is similar on both operating systems, though the source of the necessary drivers differs with each version.
It is necessary to install a network service to enable remote registry editing. This service, REGSERV, is found in the following location:
- Windows 95: Windows 95 distribution CD, in the directory \tools\reskit\netadmin\remotreg
- Windows 98: Windows 98 distribution CD, in the directory \admin\nettools\remotreg
- Open the Control Panel.
- Start the Network applet
- Click the Add button in the Configuration tab.
- Select Service from the list, and click the Add button.
- Click the Have Disk button, and provide the directory information as provided above.
- Select Microsoft Remote Registry.
- Install the Remote Registry service, and reboot the computer when prompted.