A. This is not so much a procedure but things to think about.
- NT stores both the textual name and the Security ID (SID) associated with the name, when you change the Domain name you only change the textual part and NOT the SID.
- All users should log off before starting the Domain Name change
- Break all trust relationships with other Domains
- If possible all BDC's should have the domain name changed and want to reboot. Say reboot later, and shutdown the machine and power it off.
- On the PDC run control panel, and change the Domain Name through Network Panel. The computer will prompt for a reboot and select "Reboot Now".
- Once the PDC is up let it stabilize for a few minutes then bring up each BDC with a minute gap, so it can validate with the PDC
- Re-create trust relationships with other Domains
- Move all clients to the new Domain, for Workstation see next FAQ.
A knowledge base article exists at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q178/0/09.asp.