A. The Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit and Microsoft Windows NT Resource Kit supply a utility called APIMON that you can use to monitor all DLL and API calls. To use the utility, perform the following steps:
- From the Start menu, select Run, then apimon.exe.
- From the File menu, select Open.
- Select the image you want to monitor, and click OK. (I'm using %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe.)
- Two blank windows, DLLs in use and Api Counters, open.
- The next task is to start the selected image. Click the green Play arrow (or select Start Monitor from the Tools menu).
- The application will start, and the two blank windows will now include DLL and API information.
- When the program monitoring is complete and the program is closed, click Stop or select Stop Monitor from the Tools menu.
- Stopping the API Monitor program also stops the image that the program had loaded, so make sure you don't lose any work.