Q: I'm trying to connect File Classification Infrastructure to Rights Management Services but I'm getting an 8004cf43 error--why?
A. I recently configured File Classification Infrastructure (FCI) in my environment and wanted to utilize Rights Management Services (RMS) to protect data that had certain classifications. But when I ran the file management task that set RMS policy based on the classification, it returned a 8004cf43 error.
Opening the Event Viewer and looking at the Application log showed more detail on the problem:
Log Name: Application
Date: 4/28/2013 1:44:55 PM
Event ID: 16406
Task Category: None
File Server Resource Manager encountered an error while contacting the RMS server. The error can be caused by any of the following issues:
* Server unreachable: The RMS server was not reachable.
* Not authorized: The file server is not authorized to encrypt files by using the RMS server. Verify that the file server has Read and Execute access to the following file on the RMS server: <wwwroot>\_wmcs\certification\ServerCertification.asmx
* Predefined template is not valid: The template requested is not valid for encryption.
* Custom template is not valid: The custom template provided is not valid for encryption.
The error actually contained all the information required to fix the problem. The security on the RMS server ServerCertification.asmx file wasn't correct. To resolve the issue, I had to perform the following:
- Log on to the RMS server.
- Navigate to the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\_wmcs\certification folder.
- Right-click ServerCertification.asmx file and select properties.
- Select the Security tab and click Edit.
- The RMS server needs Read and Execute rights. In my case, I added Authenticated Users and gave Read and Execute permissions.
- Click OK to all dialogs.
If you follow these steps, the error should be resolved and RMS policies applied to data as needed.