WARNING: The steps outlined below for enabling HPFS support in NT 4.0 are not supported by Microsoft Product Support and are not, therefore, guaranteed to work properly. They are here only to assist those users who require HPFS support on their NT 4.0 systems. As always, before modifying your Registry, be sure to have an updated copy of the NT emergency repair disk and a good backup of your Registry.
Use the following steps to enable HPFS support in NT 4.0:
1. Copy the pinball.sys file from the NT 3.5x CD-ROM or the NT 3.5x \%system root%\system32\drivers directory into the NT 4.0 \%systemroot%\system32\drivers directory.
2. Run the NT Registry Editor program, regedt32.exe, from the %\system32 subdirectory.
3. Locate the Registry key hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services.
4. Click Services, and choose Edit, Add Key... Enter the key name as Pinball, and click OK.
5. Click the new Pinball key, and use Edit, Add Value... to add the following value names, data types, and data. Be careful to add these values exactly as shown, including capitalization.
Value Name Data Type Data
ErrorControl REG_DWORD 0x1
Group REG_SZ Boot file system
Start REG_DWORD 0x1
Type REG_DWORD 0x2
6. Shut down and restart your system for the change to take effect. After you restart the machine, NT can access and use HPFS partitions.