- The core OS itself and components provided with the OS such as malware definition updates for Windows Defender and Office 2013 updates (which is part of Windows RT).
- Applications provided by the Windows Store.
You can force a check for both of the above components using the process below.
For the core OS:
- Open the Control Panel (Windows Key+C, then select Settings, then Control Panel from the desktop).
- Open the Windows Update control panel applet.
- Click Check for updates then install the updates if available.
Windows Update Screen
For the applications obtained from the Windows Store:
- Open the Windows Store.
- Open the Settings (Windows Key+C, then select Settings or just swipe from the right side of the screen); select App updates.
Windows Store Updates
- Click Check for updates.
- If any updates are found, select Install.
Windows Store Update Screen Dialog
Need help with using Windows 8 keys and shortcuts? See Michael Otey's list at "Top 10 Windows 8 Keyboard and Mouse Survival Guide."