When you log on to your Windows XP computer, all the desktop icons are missing?
To determine if they have been deleted, use Windows Explorer to inspect the contents of your Desktop folder. If the icons have been deleted, restore from a back. This tip is only helpful if the icons exist in your Desktop folder.
It is likely that the Show Desktop Icons feature is turned off.
To turn on the Show Desktop Icons feature:
1. Right-click on the desktop.
2. Hover over Arrange Icons By.
3. Press Show Desktop Icons.
NOTE: The Show Desktop Icons feature is turned on during a clean install. Only the Recycle Bin icon is shown. To add the My Computer, My Network Places, Internet Explorer, and/or My Documents icons to your desktop:
1. Right-click on the desktop and press Properties.
2. Select the Desktop tab.
3. Press Customize Desktop.
4. Check the boxes for the icons you want.
5. Press OK.
6. If the Apply button is available, press it.
7. Press OK.
NOTE: If you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, the Show Desktop Icons setting was ignored if Active Desktop was turned off. In Windows XP, Active Desktop is always on.