A. A. File and Print services for NetWare allows an NT Server to be viewed by Novell clients. Problems can occur when trying to save a file to a FPNW volume, especially in Word.
The performance problem is caused by the save operation retrying every 3 seconds if a sharing violation is encounted caused by the optimization of both the Server service and the FPNW service.
To correct this problem perform the following
- Start the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FPNW\Parameters
- From the Edit menu select New - DWORD value
- Enter a name of LockRetryCounter and press Enter
- Double click on the new value and set to 0
- You should now stop and start the FPNW service using the Services Control Panel applet