Diskeeper's Fragmentation Monitor lets you demonstrate the fragmentation of an NT File System (NTFS) partition. Try one of the following formulas:
- After you load Diskeeper, create an 82MB NTFS partition and format it.
- Start the Fragmentation Monitor.
- Drag the WINNT35 directory into the new 82MB partition.
- Delete the SYSTEM32 subdirectory from this partition.
- Copy the WINSERV.DLL file from your original SYSTEM32 subdirectory into the new partition. (Note that you will be copying a 1.75MB file into a partition with more than 70MB of free space.)
- Observe what happens on the Fragmentation Monitor.
- Delete WINSERV.DLL from the new partition, and then copy it in again.
- Observe the results.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 as often as you like. The results will be different each time.
Compress a couple of your directories, or uncompress a couple of previously compressed directories. Either action will create fragmentation.