A. To create an auto apply quota for a volume or folder, perform these steps:
- Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) File System Resource Manager snap-in (Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, File Server Resource Manager).
- Expand the Quota Management branch and select Quotas.
- In the Actions pane, select Create Quota (or right-click the details pane of the MMC and select Create Quota from the context menu).
- Click Browse and select the volume or folder for the quota to apply to and click OK.
- Select "Auto apply template and create quotas on existing and new subfolders" and select the quota template you want to apply to the volume or path.
- Click Create.
Notice that the first item in the right pane of the figureshows the file path with an asterix (*) appended and a quota type with (Auto Apply) appended. This is the auto apply quota. Notice also the "d:\users\martian" entry, which was generated as a result of the auto apply quota even though the folder existed before the auto apply quota was set. As folders are created, quotas are automatically applied, as the figureshows. If you modify the auto apply quota, you'll be prompted to choose whether to "Apply auto apply quota only to derived quotas that match the original auto apply quota," (i.e., only to entries with a value of yes under Match Template "Apply auto apply quota to all derived quotas," or "Do not apply auto apply quota to derived quotas," as the figureshows. Whenever you modify an auto applied quota in any way, its "Match Template" status will change to No.