A. The method will vary depending on your systems current setup, however assuming you have RAS already installed below are the actions needed to configure in your leased line. It is assumed the modems (at both ends) are configured correctly for leased line usage (&D0 for DTR override).
- Start the Modem control panel applet (start - settings - control panel - modems)
- Click Add
- Check the "Don't detect my modem, I will select it from a list" and click Next
- In the Manufacturers box select "Standard Modem Types" and in the Models area select "Dial-Up Networking Serial Cable between 2 PCs", click Next
- Select the port, e.g. COM1 and click Next
- You now have a modem setup ready for leased line use
You should now configure the RAS connection (server/client) in the normal way (use the RAS service properties).
- Right click on Network and select properties, click the services tab and select RAS, click Properties.
- Select the COM port and click Configure
- Select the connection type dial in/dial out/both and click OK. Click Continue
- You will be asked about NetBEUI client Access, select the desired and click OK
- If you selected server you will be prompted for TCP/IP access and also which IP addresses should be given, either by DHCP (if configured) or from a given pool of addresses. You can also check the box to allow a client to request a specific IP address
- Click Close in the Network dialog box, the bindings of the machine will be updated and you will be asked if you want to reboot. Click Yes
Once this has been done you may also want a phonebook entry for outgoing use as you would normally except under the Dialing section check the "Persistent connection" box.