A. To stop users from listing machines in their local workgroups or domains via Windows Explorer or My Network Places (Network Neighborhood), perform the following steps:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
- Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network (create the key if it doesn’t exist).
- From the Edit menu, select New, then DWORD value.
- Enter the name NoComputersNearMe, and press Enter.
- Double-click New Value, and set the value to 1. Click OK.
- Close the registry editor.
- Log off and log on for the change to take effect.
You can also perform this procedure with a Group Policy Object (GPO) by selecting User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer, then No Computers Near Me in My Network Places.