A. In a previous FAQ, I explained how to specify which utilities you want to use for disk cleanup, backup, and disk defragmentation. To change the utility you want to use for disk error checking, perform the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer registry subkey.
- From the Edit menu, select New, Key.
- Enter the name ChkDskPath, then press Enter.
- Navigate to the new key, double-click its (Default) value, change the value to reflect the path of the program you want to use, then click OK.
- Close the registry editor.