A. By default, Windows NT 4.0 uses only the 11 ports between 721 and 731. This means you can have only 11 simultaneous connections from the print server to printers. See Microsoft article Q179156 for more details.
To improve performance on systems running NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and above, you can modify the registry for Line Print Remote (LPR) to use other ports:
- Start regedt32.exe.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\LPDSVC\lpr.
- On the registry menu, click Save Key, and type a filename to save the current key values.
- Delete the lpr key to remove all of the individual IP address entries.
- Select the LPDSVC key.
- On the Edit menu, click Add Key, and then, in the Key Name box, type
- Select the newly created lpr key.
- On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then type the following information:
Value Name: UseNonRFCSourcePorts
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 (to use ports 721 through 731--the default) or 1 (to use any port above 1024)