A. You can perform the following steps to hide all icons, including any shortcuts. This procedure doesn’t stop their functionality but only hides them from the desktop.
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
- Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
- From the Edit menu, select New, then DWORD value.
- Enter the name NoDesktop, and press Enter.
- Double-click New Value, and set the value to 1. Click OK.
- Close the registry editor.
- Log off and log on again for the change to take effect.
You can also perform this procedure with a Group Policy Object (GPO) by selecting User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop, then Hide all icons on Desktop.
Note that after you enable Hide all icons Desktop, you can’t right-click on the desktop to get a context menu.