A. By default, you don't have to type the extension to run certain file types (e.g., .exe, .bat). To add the Microsoft Snap-in Console to this list, you need to add .msc to your PATHEXT variable. To change this setting for a single command session, type
To change this setting for all of Windows, you need to modify the system environment variable by performing the following steps:
- Start the System Control Panel applet (go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, System).
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Click Environment Variables.
- Under "System variables," double-click PATHEXT.
- Click Edit and add ;.MSC to the end of the string, then click OK.
- Click OK when prompted to close each dialog box.
You will now be able to start the Microsoft Snap-in Console without typing the .msc file extension after the snap-in filename (e.g., devmgmt).