Q: How do I create a SQL Server Data-Tier Application (DAC) from SQL Server?
A: Like IIS web packages, many deployment services have the ability to deploy SQL Server Data-Tier Applications (DAC), which enable entire SQL Server databases and applications to be deployed to servers in an automated fashion. This can be used as part of a complete server build--for example, when using Service Templates in Virtual Machine Manager or if a developer just wants to give a database to a DBA for easy deployment. To create a DAC, perform the following:
- Launch the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio application.
- Navigate to the database you want to export.
- Right-click the database and select Extract Data-tier Application... from the Tasks menu.
- Click Next to the introduction screen of the wizard.
- Enter properties for the DAC package, including where to save it to, and click Next.
- Review the summary, then click Next to begin the creation. Once complete, click Finish.