A. America relaxed the rules on exporting 128-bit encryption, so now it’s generally available (except to certain countries).
If you purchased Windows 2000 in America or Canada, you have a floppy disk that came with the package and contains the 128-bit update.
If you don't have the disk, you can download the update from http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/encryption/default.asp.
To install 128-bit encryption, complete the following steps:
- Expand the downloaded Encpack_Win2000Admin_EN.EXE.
- Run the encpack.exe (this is the same step that you follow when you use the disk).
- Click Yes to the confirmation to install.
- Click Yes to the license.
- Click Yes to reboot the computer.
After you reboot, you’ll be using 128-bit encryption.