A. When you upgrade Windows Me or Win98 to XP Pro, you might receive any of the following errors:
- Error: Cannot get main entry point for C:WINDOWSSYSTEMVIPERSTI.CPL. Error:127 \[ERROR=127 (7Fh)\]
- Error: The signature for Windows XP Professional Edition Setup is invalid. The error code is fffffdf0. The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffdf0 in the message file for Syssetup.dll.
- Fatal Error: Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.
These errors can occur if the setup process didn't delete all files in the %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 folder during the removal of the old OS phase of the upgrade. To resolve this problem, perform the following steps to manually delete the folder contents:
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 (e.g., c:\windows\system32\catroot2).
- Select all files (Ctrl+A).
- Press Delete.