A. If you have an XP machine with multiple NICs connected to different subnets, you can easily configure XP to act as an IP router.
- Start regedit.
- Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.
- Double-click IPEnableRouter
- Set it to 1 and click OK.
- Close regedit.
- Reboot the machine.
After the reboot, the XP box will act as an IP router between the networks to which it is connected.Related Reading:
- Windows XP’s Advanced Networking Features
- Wireless Networking Quirks in Windows XP
- Troubleshooting an XP SP2 Wireless Networking Problem
- More networking articles
Check out hundreds more useful Q&As like this in John Savill's FAQ for Windows. Also, watch instructional videos made by John at ITTV.net.