Our November 2008 and February 2009 "Ctrl+Alt+Del" pages contained some of our favorite tech quotes. Here they are compiled for your reading pleasure.
20) “Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.”
19) “We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.”
18) “If you tried to read every document on the web, then for each day's effort you would be a year further behind in your goal.”
17) “I heard there's rumors on the Internets …”.
—President George W. Bush
16) “Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.”
15) “Technology is like fish. The longer it stays on the shelf, the less desirable it becomes.”
—Andrew Heller, IBM
14) “Windows is just DOS in drag.”
13) “The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.”
—B. F. Skinner
12) “640K ought to be enough for anybody.”
11) “For years there has been a theory that millions of monkeys typing at random on millions of typewriters would reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. The Internet has proven this theory to be untrue.”
10) “Mac users swear by their Mac; PC users swear at their PC.”
9) "To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
8) "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."
7) “I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”
—Thomas Watson, IBM
6) "There are two ways of constructing a software design; one way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult."
—C. A. R. Hoare
5) “There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.”
4) "URLs are the 800 numbers of the 1990s."
3) "UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
2) "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
—Popular Mechanics, 1949
1) "If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."
—Robert X. Cringely