If you install a new hard disk, when you restart Windows XP, you receive:
One of the filter drivers installed for this device is invalid.
The Found New Hardware Wizard starts, and you may have a yellow exclamation mark next to the hard disk in Device Manager, or the drive letter for the new disk is missing from Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
This behavior is the result of one or more filter driver entries in the registry preventing the hard disk from properly installing.
To fix this problem:
1. Copy /Paste the following to a NoFilters.reg file:
2. Merge the NoFilters.reg file with the registry, or run regedit /s NoFilters.reg.
3. Restart your computer.
4. When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the hard disk.
5. Restart your computer.
6. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
7. Expand System Tools and press Device Manager.
8. Expand Disk drives.
9. Verify that the hard disk has been properly detected.