If you experience any of the following behaviors, you may need to re-register Softpub.dll:
- Windows Update always reports Software Update Incomplete.
- The System Information Tool shows that none of your devices have signed drivers.
- You cannot connect to secure Web sites. You receive The page cannot be displayed.
- When you install programs or drivers that uses digital signatures, the Setupapi.log contains:
FileName will be installed (policy=ignore).
Error 0x800b0003: The form specified for the subject is not one supported or known by the specified trust provider.
- If you reinstall Internet Explorer 6, you receive a message that Internet Explorer is not digitally signed.
- MSN Explorer may time out when retrieving e-mail.
- The Notes box of the Sound and Display tabs of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool reports that
- Service Pack 1 Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf.
- When you try to activate the Digital Media Edition of Microsoft Plus!, you cannot.
To re-register Softpub.dll:
1. Open a CMD.exe prompt.
2. Type: regsvr32 softpub.dll and press Enter.
3. Press OK to acknowledge that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.