When you attempt to install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or greater, you receive:
Service pack n setup error. An error in updating your system has occurred.
If your version of Windows Installer is corrupted or out of date, you will experience this behavior.
To fix this problem:
01. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
02. Double-click Services and Applications.
03. Double-click Services.
04. Double-click Windows Installer.
05. Press the Stop button and press OK.
06. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to:
07. Delete the MSIServer sub-key, pressing Yes to confirm the deletion.
08. Shutdown and restart your computer.
09. Download and install the most recent version of Windows Installer from the link in tip 4171 or from http://download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/NT45/EN-US/InstMsiW.exe.
10. Install Service Pack 3 or greater.