To alter the look and functionality of the search companion:
1. Start / Search / Change preferences.
2. Select With an animated screen character or Without an animated screen character to add or remove the animated screen character, or select With a different character to change the animated character, if the character is enabled.
3. Select With indexing services to speed up local searches.
4. Select Change files and folders search behavior and select one of the following:
Standard to search for the object of your choice.
Advanced to search for files and folders.
5. Select Change Internet search behavior and select one of the following:
With search companion to be offered suggestions and to send your search to other search engines.
With Classic Internet search to use the search window that appears in previous versions of Windows.
6. Select the default Internet search engine and press OK.
7. Select Don't show balloon tips or Show balloon tips.
8. Select Turn AutoComplete off or Turn AutoComplete on.