Randomly, some icons in My Computer, Windows Explorer, in your Quick Launch toolbar, or on your desktop, change?
To work around this behavior:
1. Open a CMD prompt and type: attrib -h "%windir%\shelliconcache"
2. Use Windows Explorer to delete the ShellIconCache file in your %Windir% folder.
3. Use Regedt32 to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
4. On the Edit menu, Add Value name Max Cached Icons as a String (REG_SZ) data type.
5. Set the string to a number between 100 and 2000. I prefer 2000. The default is 500.
6. Restart your computer.