When you try to start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, you receive:
Naming information cannot be located because: no authority could be contacted for authentication. Contact your system administrator.
This issue is almost always a mis-configured DNS service:
1. The DNS service must be is authoritative for the zone that contains the Active Directory domain name.
2. The SYSVOL share must be installed on an NTFS 5.0 partition.
3. Verify that the SYSVOL share contains the NETLOGON share and the Policy and Script folders.
4. Use DNS Manager to verify that the DNS entries match %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\Netlogon.dns.
5. Review the Event log entries in the File Replication Service Log, the DNS Server Log, and the System Log for Active Directory installation failures.
6. After you modify the configuration, open the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in again. If you receive the same error, use DCPROMO to remove Active Directory. Shutdown and restart your Windows 2000 Server. Use DCPROMO to install Active Directory.