A. If you are having problems with the installation of Windows 2000 its possible to enable extensive logging to aid in the diagnostics of this.
To enable the extra logging you have to create the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\LogLevel and set to 0xFFFF but obviously you can't create this using REGEDIT.EXE during setup so we need to update a setup file to create the value for us.
- On the distribution share or local hard disk containing the Windows 2000 files, locate the Hivesft.inf file in the I386 folder.
- Using any text editor (such as Notepad), locate the following line in the Hivesft.inf file:
- Below the line listed in the previous step, add the following line:
NOTE: The two lines listed above may be wrapped for readability, but are each a separate single line.
- When you are done, the file should look like the following example. Verify this before saving the file to disk:
; added the following line
; ends here
- Save the file and quit the text editor.
The extra logging will now be enabled to the Setupapi.log file. This file will probably be around 4MB larger with logging enabled.
To check that logging is enabled via the GUI then press SHIFT+F10 to start a command prompt and use Regedt32.exe to verify that the value has been created.