A. If you've created a new WinPE 2004 instance--for example, one that has integrated Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), Windows Script Host (WSH), and ADO and want to use this installation with the SMS OS Deployment Feature Pack (so that you can run custom scripts), perform these steps:
- Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) SMS Administrator Console snap-in (Start, Programs, Systems Management Server, SMS Administrator Console).
- Right-click Image Packages and select Update Windows PE from the All Tasks context menu.
- Click Next at the "Welcome to the Update Windows PE Wizard" screen.
- Select the source of the new WinPE instance and click Next.
- The wizard will create a new WinPE .wim file that contains the new WinPE environment and integrated SMS OS Deployment Feature Pack components.
- Click Finish. The new WinPE .wim file will be created in the \sms\osd folder as osdwinpe.wim, and the existing file will be renamed to osdwinpe.wim.0.
If you want the new WinPE .wim file to be used when you upgrade your OS via a package, right-click the OS package and select Update Operating System Package Files from the All Tasks menu. Doing so places the updated WinPE .wim file in the package of the selected OS. You then need to update the distribution points.