A. In partnership with Dell, Microsoft has released an inventory tool that scans and updates Dell-brand machines. You can download the tool at http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/downloads/2003/tools/dellupdates.asp . After downloading the file, open it to extract the installation files, then install the tool by performing these steps:
- Execute the extracted smsitdu.msi file.
- Click Next at the welcome page of the Microsoft SMS 2003 Inventory Tool for Dell Updates Setup Wizard.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- Accept the default destination installation folder (or select a new location by clicking the Browse button). Click Next.
- Select whether to automatically download the additional components or to manually download them. If possible, leave the default automatic download setting and click Next. If you need to manually download the files, refer to the instructions at http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/downloads/2003/tools/dellupdatescomponents.asp .
- Select the name for the updates and how you want to distribute them, then enter the name of a test machine (a Dell machine), as the figure shows. Click Next.
- Select the server to connect to for up-to-date Dell information (e.g., the SMS server), select to automatically download, and click Next.
- Click Next to begin the installation and to create the utilities and collections. If you run Windows Firewall, you might be prompted to unblock the utility. Click Unblock, as the figure shows.
- The manifest for the Dell updates might take as long as 10 minutes to process, so be patient. Click Finish after the process is done.