A. After you create a system-state backup of an existing DC in the same domain as the server you want to promote and restore that backup to a location accessible to the server (e.g., local hard disk, CD-ROM, DVD) that you're promoting, perform the following steps:
- Start Dcpromo in advanced mode--go to Start, Run, and type
- When the introduction screen appears, click Next.
- When the compatibility screen appears, click Next.
- Select "Additional domain controller for an existing domain," then click Next.
- Select "From these restored backup files" (as this Figure shows), browse to the location of the system-state restoration, then click Next.
- If the restoration was from a DC that served as a Global Catalog (GC) server, Dcpromo will ask you whether the new DC should be a GC. Make your selection, then click Next.
- Enter the name of a domain administrator account in the new DC's domain, then click Next.
- Enter the locations where you want to store the Active Directory (AD) information, then click Next.
- Enter a location where you want to store SYSVOL, then click Next.
- Enter a restore mode password in both boxes, then click Next.
- On the summary screen, click Next to begin the promotion process.
- After the DC promotion is complete, click Finish.
- Click Restart Now.