A. A. Moving the actual files and directories is simple, however share information is not contained in the directories, but rather is contained in the registry (under LanmanServer), it is therefore necessary to copy this registry information from the machine currently containing the shares, to the machine that will host the shares:
- To copy the files you will need to use the SCOPY utility that is supplied
with the resource kit to keep the current permission/audit settings
:\ :\ /o /a /s
- On the machine that currently hosts the shares, start the registry editor (regedt32.exe, not regedit.exe)
- Move to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
- Click on Shares, and select Save Key from the Registry Menu
- Enter the name of a file, e.g. shares.reg and click OK
- Copy this file to the target machine
- Again start the registry editor (regedt32.exe) and move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares and select Shares.
- From the Registry menu, select Restore and select the file you saved, e.g.
shares.reg and click Open
Warning: You will lose all currently configured shares on the machine
- You will prompted to continue, click Yes
- Close the registry editor
- Reboot the machine and once restarted you will see the new shares