Q: How can I run the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) responder update for Windows XP on Windows Server 2003?
A: The LLTD responder update lets XP computers appear in Windows Vista’s Network Map feature. By default, you can’t run the LLTP responder update under Windows 2003; Windows 2003 servers will show as unknown location devices. However, you can try to force the update to run by performing these steps:
- Download the update from www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f01a31d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea.
- Attempt to run the update on a Windows 2003 server, but don’t click OK to the error about updatebr.inf.
- At the root of the C drive, you’ll see a folder name in the format 7be840d99a33259a5b77a0 a9; open this folder and copy the update folder to another location.
- Click OK to the error message that displays.
- In the copy of the update folder, right-click update.exe and select Properties.
- Under the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- Execute update.exe
I’ve had mixed results with this working on all Windows 2003 servers, but it’s definitely worth a try.