Q: I have added drivers into my Windows PE image for my OS installation--so why aren't the drivers available and why does my installation fail, saying the hardware can't be seen?
A: The boot.wim file actually contains two separate images, as shown below:
- PS C:\windows\system32> dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:d:\temp\boot.wim
- Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
- Version: 6.3.9600.16384
- Details for image : d:\temp\boot.wim
- Index : 1
- Name : Microsoft Windows PE (x64)
- Description : Microsoft Windows PE (x64)
- Size : 1,259,685,118 bytes
- Index : 2
- Name : Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)
- Description : Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)
- Size : 1,356,525,607 bytes
- The operation completed successfully.
Typically, you mount the first image and add your drivers. The problem is that Windows actually boots from and uses the second image, not the first. This means you need to inject your drivers into image 2 and not image 1.