If you are running the Windows 8.1 Preview recently released to the public, Microsoft has also just made some updates available. While you don't have to jump out to get these yourself because they will be available through Microsoft's automated update service, it's nice to have a menu of links and information to see what is high on Microsoft's fix-it-first list.
Updates already? You might ask.
Microsoft will be steadily improving the Windows 8.1 Preview software as the month's progress toward a full, official and (hopefully) safe release. Considering that Preview software, though made available to the general public, isn't the most polished piece of software, you should expect frequent updates.
Here's what's been made available so far:
- Compatibility update for Windows RT 8.1 Preview and Windows 8.1 Preview: June 2013 (KB2863312)– This compatibility update improves the compatibility experience in Windows RT 8.1 Preview and in Windows 8.1 Preview. Microsoft regularly releases Windows compatibility updates to improve the overall user experience. This compatibility update is dated June 2013.
- Windows Store apps crash on launch in Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2864247)– An update is available for Windows 8.1 Preview. This update resolves an issue in which some Windows Store apps crash when you start them.
- Update improves the robustness of data files in Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2864713)– An update is available for Windows 8.1 Preview. This update improves the robustness of data files.
- Can't sign in to a Google account through certain applications in Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2864806)– You cannot sign in to your Google account through Picasa in Windows 8.1 Preview. Therefore, you cannot perform actions that require that you sign in, such as sharing photos through Gmail. This issue might also occur when you use other applications to sign in to a Google account.
- Can’t resume a download in Internet Explorer 11 Preview (KB2864808)– When you start and then pause a download in Internet Explorer 11 Preview on a Windows 8.1 Preview-based computer, the download cannot be resumed.
Still tentative about installing the Preview release? You can still learn about the updated OS here:
Not sure the difference between Preview and Beta? Learn the difference here: