A. VMware ESX Server 3i is an embedded hypervisor with a compact 32MB footprint and no reliance on any general purpose OS. 3i is integrated with hardware and typically runs on an internal thumb drive.
3i has a wizard-driven startup that reduces deployment time and can be deploying virtual machines (VMs) in minutes. Additional functionality areas of 3i can be exposed through license activations without any code changes or installations. For example, you can enable VMotion for live VM migrations.Related Reading
- Q. What is Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)?
- Q. Why isn't virtualization supported for the Exchange Server 2007 Unified Messaging (UM) server role?
- Four for Free: No-Cost Virtualization Tools and Utilities
- More virtualization articles
- Perform a Physical to Virtual (P2V) Migration with SCVMM 2008
- Perform a Virtual to Virtual (V2V) Migration with SCVMM 2008
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Introduction
- Virtualization and Hyper-V Architecture Fundamentals
Check out hundreds more useful Q&As like this in John Savill's FAQ for Windows. Also, watch instructional videos made by John at ITTV.net.