A. ESX 4 introduced a new hardware version that can be assigned to VMs. You should upgrade your VMs to use the ESX 4 version of the VMware Tools prior to upgrading the hardware's version. If you have existing VMs that are using hardware version 4, you can upgrade their hardware by performing the following steps:
- Stop the VM whose hardware needs to be upgraded.
- Select the Upgrade Virtual Hardware context menu option.
- Click Yes in the confirmation dialog.
The hardware in the VM will now be version 7.
- Q. What is VMware Fault Tolerance (FT)?
- Q. I have an Iomega NAS with NFS support. I get errors connecting VMware ESX to the NFS on the NAS. What's wrong?
- Q. Does VMware support the Windows Server 2008 /Server 2008 R2 NFS implementation?
- Q. Does Address Space Load Randomization (ASLR) break hypervisors that perform page sharing?
Check out hundreds more useful Q&As like this in John Savill's FAQ for Windows. Also, watch instructional videos made by John at ITTV.net.