A. To use Network Monitor to capture the GUID of a PXE client (e.g., a NetPC, PC98, or PC99 client), perform the following steps:
- Start Network Monitor by selecting "Network Monitor" from the "Network Analysis Tools" Start menu Programs folder.
- Start a packet capture--I explain how to do this at this FAQ
- Reboot the PXE client, and press F12 to begin a network boot (you might have to enable network boot in the BIOS).
- Stop the packet capture, and look for a DHCP Discover packet.
- Double-click the DHCP Discover packet, expand the DHCP Discover section, and expand the DHCP Option section.
- Click unrecognized option 97 (0x61) to display a hexadecimal string of digits.
- Skip the first 6 highlighted digits, and record the remaining 32 highlighted digits. Those 32 digits are your client's GUID. You can use the GUID to prestage your Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) clients.