A. By default, most installers place most application files in the C:\program files directory. With the full product version of some software, these files can total 200MB or more. However, you can edit the registry to redirect the installation program to another directory on another disk or partition by performing the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion subkey.
- Double-click ProgramFilesDir.
- Change the disk volume and directory to the location where you want to install your application, and click OK.
- Close the registry editor, restart your computer, and install your application.
Keep in mind that Windows will install future software in the specified directory unless you change the ProgramFilesDir registry value back to its original setting.