A. Microsoft is rebranding its Systems Management Server (SMS) and Microsoft Operations Management (MOM) products to be part of the Microsoft System Center line of products. Here's what's new in the Microsoft System Center line:
- The next version of SMS will be Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007.
- The next version of MOM will be Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007.
- System Center Service Desk enables self-service portals for users; Configuration Management Database provides information on the current and desired configuration state.
- System Center Essentials brings together best of breed management technologies to simplify securing, updating, and monitoring the environment.
- System Center Data Protection Manager enables disk-based backup technologies for rapid restoration capabilities.
- System Center Reporting Manager enables powerful reporting via a data warehouse.