When you use Internet Explorer 6 SP1 to connect to a secure Web site (HTTPS://), Internet Explorer may hang.
This behavior may occur if the FIPS encryption algorithms are being enforced through policy at Local Policies / Security Options.
Some SSL implementations send a 0 length packet as the first message over a SSL connection and the Wininet.dll library does NOT interpret this properly.
To workaround this behavior:
1. Open Administrative Tools from Control Panel.
2. Double-click Local Security Policy.
3. Expand Local Policies.
4. Expand Security Options.
5. Double-click System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.
6. Check Disabled and press OK.
7. Shutdown and restart your computer.