Q: My NetGear Wireless switch acts as a DHCP server and requires an Internet IP address and a separate internal LAN--how can I make it work as an access point?
A: The NetGear Wireless Switches provide a lot of great features, including separate guest networks, and are designed to sit between your gateway to the Internet and the rest of the network. In some environments, however you might want to use the device just as a wireless access point. This is possible; however, the option is hidden away. Perform the following:
- Log on to the NetGear device.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select the Advanced Setup navigation item.
- Select Wireless Settings.
- Select the check box for Use other operation mode and select Enable AP Mode (see screen shot below).
- You will need to enter IP details for the NetGear device to use as an access point, but it's now acting as just a Wireless Access Point.