A. Like Windows 2000, Windows 2003 has an event tracker that prompts you to enter a reason for shutting down a server. To disable this feature, perform the following steps:
- Open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Group Policy Editor (GPE) snap-in or use the Windows 2003 Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to load the Group Policy Object (GPO) that you want to modify (e.g., the Default Domain Controllers policy).
- Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System.
- Double-click Display Shutdown Event Tracker.
- Select Disabled, then click OK.
- Use the Gpupdate command to force the policy to refresh.
After the policy refreshes, the server will no longer prompt you for event tracker details at shutdown.