Shavlik was one of the very first vendors to fill the 3rd party patching needs for companies. While Microsoft was investing resources to help administrators patch Windows systems, Shavlik was busy covering the rest. Once it's realized that any given organization can have 100's of software products installed, it becomes clear that patching Windows is only a small portion of the problem.
There's a good portion of Microsoft's own update technologies that is a result of a collaboration between Shavlik and Microsoft. The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), released in 2001, is based on Shavlik's HFNetChck technology.
Shavlik's SCUPdates product has been around since April 2010 and provides an integrated 3rd party patching experience for users of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr). On Monday, Shavlik announced a new feature set and new name for SCUPdates. Calling it Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center, the product supports ConfigMgr 2012, ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 and ConfigMgr 2012 R2.
Shavlik Patch integrates directly into the ConfigMgr 2012 console which allows the product to take advantage of the workflows built into the Microsoft endpoint management product.
- Integrated plugin for the SCCM 2012 console
- View of available patches
- Select patches to publish and expire
- Smart filtering of patches based on multiple criteria (vendor, product, etc.)
- Check for and download new patch data automatically
- Publish new patches automatically based on smart filter
- Auto-detect Windows Software Update Server
- Digital Certificate management
- Handles difficult to install patches including Java
- Streamline handling of bundled patches such as Apple
The current list of supported 3rd party updates for Shavlik Patch: Shavlik SCUPdates Supported Products list
Read more about it on the Shavlik web site: Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center
Grab the User's Guide: Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center User's Guide
Read through the release notes: Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center Release Notes
Request a free trial: Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center Free Trial
Take a glance at the datasheet: Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center datasheet
Pricing is available by sending an email to: email@example.com