MC Hammer (born Stanley Kirk Burrell) was a staple of the rap music scene back in the 1980's and early 1990's. Now he's launching WireDoo, a new venture that enters the search market currently dominated by the likes of Google and Microsoft's Bing.
Hammer announced the new service this week at O’Reilly Media’s Web 2.0 conference. The service is still in beta (register at the the WireDoo beta signup page) but Hammer hopes to have WireDoo provide a more context-aware approach to search. During his presentation at Web 2.0, Hammer suggested that WireDoo would focus on “relationship search” and attempt to do a better job of surfacing related content to internet searches. An example: Providing information on car loans and car safety ratings for someone searching for a car.
You have to get the former rap superstar credit for going toe-to-toe (or algorithm to algorithm) against Microsoft and Google, but the search engine graveyard is filled with the bones of competitors who couldn’t differentiate themselves from the aforementioned search titans.
While we wish Hammer luck on his endeavor, we also couldn’t help putting together some potential SIri-like phrases that a WireDoo search app could utter when people are using it, all pulled from Hammer’s “U Can’t Touch This” lyrics:
- Search for diets: “Dance to this and you’re gonna get thinner.”
- Search for school schedules: “Ring the bell, school’s back in.”
- Search for MC Hammer: “You talkin’ about the Hammer, you talkin’ about a show.”
- Search for dating site: “Get a fly girl and catch this beat.”
- Search taking too long? “Makin’ ‘em sweat, that’s what I’m given’ em!”
- And, of course, when a search fails: “You can’t touch this.”
Follow Windows IT Pro on Twitter at @windowsitpro