Q: How can I add a drive in Explorer to SkyDrive on a Surface or other Windows RT device?
A: Although Windows RT has a SkyDrive Metro application, it's not possible to see SkyDrive content from the Windows RT desktop. Fortunately, it's easy to add a shortcut by using the process below.
- Open Internet Explorer and go to http://skydrive.com/
- Once logged in, right-click the Files menu item and select Copy Shortcut.
- This will give a shortcut in this format:
You care about the part after cid=, e.g., 123456789ABCDEFG, which is your CID value. We will need this later.
- Open Explorer on the Windows RT device and select Computer in the navigation pane; in the Computer tab of the ribbon select Map network drive.
- For the path enter the following:
https://d.docs.live.net/<CID value>, e.g. https://d.docs.live.net/123456789ABCDEFG
- Click Finish; you will need to enter your SkyDrive login account and password and select to remember credentials.
You will now have a mapped drive to SkyDrive.